General Childhood Nostalgia: Favorite Children's Tapes and Songs

אלישבע10

משתמש מקצוען
מנוי פרימיום
For those of us who grew up listening to English children's tapes, let's have a trip down memory lane and share our nostalgia.
What was your favorite tape?
Which song did you love hearing again and again?
Which song do you find yourself still singing today?

Willoughby walliby wee
Come along and sing with me!

ה. בקר

צוות הנהלה
מנהל
מנוי פרימיום
The Golden Crown
Middos Machine-Shnooky!!
Uncle Moishy-I have a mezuzah....and more
the song-And Zeidy made us laugh, and Zeidy made us sing...​
WOW
We used to sit for hours on front of the tape recorder listening to the marvelous middos machine and Uncle Moishy
Also we used to listen to Baruch learns about brachos. I remember singing out very loud "Baruch knows it, Baruch knows it and we know it too"

And zeidy, what a song. Who will be the zeidy of my children?

My Zaidy lived with us in my parent’s home
He used to laugh – He’d put me on his knee
And he spoke about his life in Poland
He spoke, but with a bitter memory.

And he spoke about, the soldiers – who would beat him
And they laughed at him – they tore his long black coat
And he spoke about a synagogue that they burnt down
And the crying that was heard beneath the smoke.

CHORUS 1:
But, Zaidy made us laugh
Zaidy made us sing
And Zaidy made a Kiddush – Friday Night
And Zaidy oh my Zaidy – how I loved him so
And Zaidy used to teach me wrong from right.

His eyes lit up when he used to teach me Torah
And he taught me every line so carefully
And he spoke about our slavery in Egypt
And how G-d took us out to make us free.

But Winter went by
Summer came along
I went to Camp – to run and play
And when I came back home – they said “Zaidy’s gone”
and all his books were packed and stored away.

And I don’t know, how or why – it came to be
It happened slowly over many years
We just stopped being Jewish like my Zaidy was
And no one cared enough – to shed a tear.

CHORUS 2:
But Zaidy made us laugh
Zaidy made us sing
And Zaidy made a Seder – Pesach Night

And many Winters went by
And many Summers came along
And now my children sit in front of me
And who will be the Zaidy of my children
Who will be their Zaidy – if not me?

Who will be the Zaidy’s of our children
Who will be their Zaidys – if not we?

CHORUS 1:
But, Zaidy made us laugh
Zaidy made us sing
And Zaidy made a Kiddush – Friday Night
Who spilled the milk on the kitchen floor
:)No, it was not me​

tbh

משתמש מקצוען
Lately the Hamotzi song from "Boruch learns his brachos' is stuck in my head. I have no idea why, haven't heard it in years and never particularly liked it.

I don't have one favorite song, more like dozens. I would think my absolute favorite is 'Wall of stone/ Together' by Abie Rotenberg

Should I open a spinoff for plain quotes?

"And I don't have to pay good money to have my water exploding in a glass":LOL:

אוריגמי

משתמש סופר מקצוען
עיצוב ואדריכלות פנים
We have a 20 year difference between the oldest and youngest siblings, so we had real oldies too...
we listened to almost all the ones mentioned, plus:

Kosher Fairytales
Shhhh it's Loshon Hora
Let's sing the Seder/Succa
the Golden Crown (my favorite! till today...)
Shmuel Kunda's stories- the Longest Pesach, Incredible Dreidle...

BTW I still play them for my kids! many of these are on JM
and I got digital copies of many many others.

I find myself humming every morning "AAAAlways late, AAAAAlways late..."
and my kids are often refered to as "Mr. Blister" :)

יופלה אפרסק

משתמש סופר מקצוען
מנוי פרימיום
מוזיקה ונגינה

אלישבע10

משתמש מקצוען
מנוי פרימיום
the song-And Zeidy made us laugh, and Zeidy made us sing...
And zeidy, what a song. Who will be the zeidy of my children?
This is a song I loved as a kid, but only when I grew up I understood the sad story behind it. Today I listen to it from a different prospective.
I'm surprised nobody mentioned 613 Torah Avenue.
Vayishlach Yaakov Malochim L’fonov
And Yaakov sent messengers to Esav

Those are so cute! I love them!
Middos Machine-Shnooky!
Professor double-talk, bein hazmanim radio.
Some of these names are genius!
I listen to all 3 of them till today (the 4th is not the same to my opinion).

I also love "when zaidy was young".
Here comes the trolley,
There goes the trolley,
I see the trolley
Rolling down the street.
Let’s watch the trolley,
Let’s catch the trolley,
Jump on the trolley,
Find yourself a seat.

Another classic is big Gedaliah Goomber.
Ain’t gonna work on Saturday,
Ain’t gonna work on Saturday.
Double, double, triple pay,
Won’t make me work on Saturday,
Ain’t gonna work on Saturday,
It’s Shabbos Kodesh.

ה. בקר

צוות הנהלה
מנהל
מנוי פרימיום
when i was a teenager the series of BY times were published. I had the entire set. i remember laughing because the illustrations were of real girls living in Har Nof, some of which i knew personally. when my daughters were younger they also read the series which i have now in my house. anyone else red them?

I think that some of the tapes mentioned here are from after my childhood

There are tons of songs in English song over the years by singers, many of which I grew up singing. Today Baruch Levine [who was actually student of my father in Yeshiva here in Israel] sings them. I have a 16 year
old daughter who loves listening to them, and when she turns them on all their words come back to me

. when i was in 7th grade we lived in Boro Park for a short while i used to get better grades on English vocabulary and grammar tests than Hebrew Grammar​

אם הבנים שמחה!

משתמש מקצוען
when i was a teenager the series of BY times were published. I had the entire set. i remember laughing because the illustrations were of real girls living in Har Nof, some of which i knew personally. when my daughters were younger they also read the series which i have now in my house. anyone else red them?

There are tons of songs in English son over the years by singers, many of which I grew up singing. Today Baruch Levine [who was actually student of my father in Yeshiva here in Israel] sings them. I have a 16 year old daughter who loves listening to them, and when she turns them on all their words come back to me​
I must be older than you because I remember my younger sisters reading BY Times, but it wasn't a thing in my days.
I think Zaidy also came out again recently, maybe on Abie Rotenberg's new CD? I think Moshe Yess's son sings it. (Moshe Yess was the original singer and composer.)

ה. בקר

צוות הנהלה
מנהל
מנוי פרימיום
I must be older than you because I remember my younger sisters reading BY Times, but it wasn't a thing in my days.
I think Zaidy also came out again recently, maybe on Abie Rotenberg's new CD? I think Moshe Yess's son sings it. (Moshe Yess was the original singer and composer.)
i was about 12 when BY times began being published, i think
how old are you?​

אלישבע10

משתמש מקצוען
מנוי פרימיום
There are tons of songs in English song over the years by singers, many of which I grew up singing. Today Baruch Levine [who was actually student of my father in Yeshiva here in Israel] sings them. I have a 16 year
old daughter who loves listening to them, and when she turns them on all their words come back to me​
Off the record #1 and #2.
In volume 2 there is a Marvelous Midos Machine medley.
It's possible. I actually heard it for the first time in the Miami experience 2 video when Moshe Yess sang it with a Miami kid.
Only later I heard the original song.
Avraham Fried sang it in Hasc (number 25 maybe?) as well.
It's a known song so it has been sang many times.

RacheliArt

צוות הנהלה
מנהל
מנוי פרימיום
איור וציור מקצועי
צילום מקצועי

old daughter who loves listening to them, and when she turns them on all their words come back to me

. when i was in 7th grade we lived in Boro Park for a short while i used to get better grades on English vocabulary and grammar tests than Hebrew Grammar​
I loved BY times!!!!!!
and Boruch Levine was my friend's brother, we were so proud to hear him sing as a child star on The Golden Crown!

אוריגמי

משתמש סופר מקצוען
עיצוב ואדריכלות פנים
You said you're old :)
that's something I rarely hear people stating about themselves...

of course many uncle moishy tapes are more recent, and Marvelous Midos has number 4 from just 10 years ago. But most of the tapes mentioned in the thread are way before my time, which is just a bit after yours...

אולי מעניין אותך גם...

הפרק היומי

הפרק היומי! כל ערב פרק תהילים חדש. הצטרפו אלינו לקריאת תהילים משותפת!

תהילים פרק קמט

א הַלְלוּיָהּ שִׁירוּ לַיהוָה שִׁיר חָדָשׁ תְּהִלָּתוֹ בִּקְהַל חֲסִידִים:ב יִשְׂמַח יִשְׂרָאֵל בְּעֹשָׂיו בְּנֵי צִיּוֹן יָגִילוּ בְמַלְכָּם:ג יְהַלְלוּ שְׁמוֹ בְמָחוֹל בְּתֹף וְכִנּוֹר יְזַמְּרוּ לוֹ:ד כִּי רוֹצֶה יְהוָה בְּעַמּוֹ יְפָאֵר עֲנָוִים בִּישׁוּעָה:ה יַעְלְזוּ חֲסִידִים בְּכָבוֹד יְרַנְּנוּ עַל מִשְׁכְּבוֹתָם:ו רוֹמְמוֹת אֵל בִּגְרוֹנָם וְחֶרֶב פִּיפִיּוֹת בְּיָדָם:ז לַעֲשׂוֹת נְקָמָה בַּגּוֹיִם תּוֹכֵחֹת בַּלְאֻמִּים:ח לֶאְסֹר מַלְכֵיהֶם בְּזִקִּים וְנִכְבְּדֵיהֶם בְּכַבְלֵי בַרְזֶל:ט לַעֲשׂוֹת בָּהֶם מִשְׁפָּט כָּתוּב הָדָר הוּא לְכָל חֲסִידָיו הַלְלוּיָהּ:
נקרא  9  פעמים

ספירת העומר

לוח מודעות

למעלה